Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Monday night workout after Dylan's birthday dinner

Yesterday was our youngest son's official 5th birthday. While we had Dylan's birthday party on Saturday for members of his preschool/daycare and a few other invited guests from the neighborhood, we had a special family dinner with my parents last evening and the unveiling of his presents from us as well.

He was especially very fond of the hockey stick, balls/pucks, and net that his grandparents got him which made me very happy to see. We're obviously going to have to work on the stick handling because he's already excited every time he scores to see how high he can get his stick in the air. The last thing we need is any trips to the ER after celebrating a one-timer past his Dad when he spears his older brother in the spleen!!

Anyway, a good time was had by all and we got the boys down to bed shortly after 8:00 PM. Unfortunately for me and my anticipated Monday night workout, I ate too much dinner and cake. Now I did cover the cake with what I thought was the proper amount of Insulin, but I proved that I wasn't nearly as accurate with my SWAG (Scientific Wild Ass Guessing) Bolus for my consumption of food as I'd like to be prior to a workout so I took a couple more units prior to heading out on the bike. Now I thought that this workout was going to be off the charts bad, but boy was I surprised at how good I felt despite my poor eating choices a few hours earlier. Results of my efforts:

  • Time on bike - 41:21. Miles ridden - 7.51.
  • Blood Sugar prior to workout 229 (2 units of Novolog prior to going out)
  • Again, felt absolutely great during the ride.
Anyone with Type 1 Diabetes, and who exercises regularly, envision where this post is headed? Well lets just say that after returning home safely and changing into my jammies, I passed out on the couch because of a low blood sugar reading. I woke up a little after 11:00 PM and checked my blood sugar to see a 55 starring back at me. After a random cup of apple juice, I crawled into bed and woke up this morning to a fun blood sugar reading of 295 at 6:30 AM.

Bottom line is this: Working out is great, but extreme highs and lows with my blood sugars is going to have to be removed or I'm not doing anything remotely positive to ensure a healthier lifestyle moving forward.

So it's simple, last night's excuse was Dylan's 5th birthday party and that delicious cake.

Tonight, there are no excuses!!

No comments:

Post a Comment