Friday, April 15, 2011

Intention (Part 1)

Merriam-Webster defines the word Intention as : a determination to act in a certain way.

So far in this blog that I scribe every once and a while, I've typically focused on three subjects and three subjects only.


  1. Sports and Working Out.
  2. Type 1 Diabetes.
  3. My Family.
Other than work, those three items capture my entire day. Some obviously more than others, but still. I write more about my biking and working out because it helps keep me focused on the positive things I want to get out of life with my family and this disease I've been carrying around for more than 25 years.

I'm not a deep thinker, really I'm not. I don't know if I was at one point in my early life or if I ever can become one later in life. I'm not wired to think for long periods of time, and maybe that has a lot to do with my ability, or inability, to learn, but that's a potential post for another time on down the road. So what does all of this have to do with anyhting or specifically my bike ride last night? It goes back to the title of this post, the word Intention, and it's definition.

I got out on my bike on another fantastic early spring night, this time a little earlier than usual so that I could watch the end of the Flyers/Sabres 1st round playoff game. My first loop was just OK and it kind of felt like I was going through the motions a bit after yesterday's awesome daytime ride. But I got my head up and started riding harder at the start of the 2nd loop and my legs felt better. As I started down this one stretch between these townhouses in the middle of my 2nd loop in an adjoining neighborhood, I saw a car about 100 yards in front of me. Now maybe it's my inexperience of bike riding, but I don't concentrate on cars in front of me as much as when I see/hear cars coming up behind me.

All of a sudden though, this car got my attention. It started revving up it's engine, started blowing it's horn, and started veering over to where I was riding. For a split second I thought whoever was driving the car was trying to tell me something so I quickly looked behind me. There was nothing behind me. So as I turn back around, the car is picking up speed and still veering in my direction with the horn blaring. At this point I move off the street and come to a stop in the grass area on the side of the road as this idiot flies past me with their horn still blaring.

If the driver of that cars intention last night was to almost literally scare the shit out of me, it worked!! I'm ever hopeful that this was a kid that saw an opportunity to scare someone. I was once a kid with a car too and I did some pretty foolish things behind the wheel that will not be published here. What concerns me more if this individual was older and strung out on alcohol or drugs and they do this on a regular occasion. I'd like to say that I recovered nicely and finished up my ride strong. But this minor occurrence was but just the first of two incidents on Thursday night that has me rethinking about when and where I ride my bike. The second post will be coming much later tonight. Actual results of my efforts on the bike last night:

  • Time ridden on bike: 43:08.
  • Miles ridden on bike: 7.77


No comments:

Post a Comment