Wednesday, April 6, 2011

First Workout With The New Bike

OK, maybe it wasn't my first workout with the new bike, but it was the first one with any type of real physical exertion.

As I mentioned the other day, I spent 20 minutes on Sunday afternoon mapping out a course on which to ride that weaves through our subdivision. The loop starts and ends both going uphill which has its advantages, and current disadvantages by not being in any kind of biking shape, and also has a nice relaxing middle that's somewhat downhill. The entire loop is 3.25 miles, or roughly a 5K for those of you that run/think in metric terms. Completely off topic, but when I was in elementary school back in the 1970's they forced that stuff on us on a daily basis as in this was the way we were going to measure stuff for the rest of our lives in America. Does anybody know/remember why they were doing that to us? Anyway, I did one full loop on Sunday and thought to myself if I could do three workouts a week at one hour at a time I'd be off to a good start. Well....................

I took off last night around 8:45 PM on a brisk 50 degree evening that 2 months from now I'd kill to ride my bike in because of the impending heat and humidity. Starting off uphill is never a good thing to do if you're not warmed up so that was mistake #1. Easily into the first loop I also realized I'd be dead if I tried to do this for one hour right out of the box. So I immediately readjusted my own goals and said if I could get through two loops plus a little more, that would be a good opening act. The salient bullet points from last nights workout:

  • I did not run into anything (people, cars, mailboxes or dogs, and that was the only real problem as an over energetic golden retriever tried to lick me to death after stopping me in the middle of the road during my first loop :)
  • Total time on bike on bike 42 minutes and 2 seconds. Total miles ridden 7.09.
  • Blood sugar before taking off on bike 141.
  • Blood sugar before bedtime 246!! (Hey, guess who needs to do a better job with their caloric intake and insulin dosage prior to working out?!)
  • All in all, a moderately successful workout time and mileage wise. Need to obviously do much better calibrating the food/insulin dynamic which continues to be an ongoing obstacle.
So with that we're off, or I'm off on a new journey to maintain a more consistent workout program. Day/night #2 starts on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment