Wednesday, April 13, 2011

I lied

In my post from yesterday I mentioned that I would have no more excuses concerning my workout regiment. Well that pronouncement lasted approximately six hours. You see, I got home with Ryan from his basketball practice at 8:30 PM all good and ready to hop on my bike and ride like, or into, the wind. Being the good Type 1 Diabetic that I am, sarcasm follows for those that know me, I figured I should check my Blood Sugar prior to venturing out on what would still be considered our rain covered roads in the neighborhood. Did I also mention that it's still very dark in mid-April in Raleigh around 8:30 PM. So getting back to the checking, I apply the blood to my strip and in three, two, one with my head turned away a nice beeping sound comes from my meter. For those of you that don't know, glucose meters and beeping don't equate to nice things. As in my meter was showing a number below the old state mandated speed limits of the 1970's (55) of 51. So now I'm SOL as far as getting in a workout on the bike two nights in a row which I was really looking forward to. So I tried to convince myself I'd do the early morning thing on Wednesday. Well the low Blood Sugar incident took a toll on me as I again wiped out on the couch only to be woken up by the TV at 12:15 AM. Now I don't know about any of you, but when I have a low Blood Sugar episode and fall asleep it's not the same as falling asleep when my Blood Sugar is under better control. So I crawled up to bed and anticipated the eventual high rebound from stuffing my face with good old carby nothingness since we were out of anything juice related. So I of course wake up this morning to a Blood Sugar reading well north of 300 so working out was out of the question. Or at least working out in the morning was out of the question.

I decided that I'd be able to ride for 45 minutes at lunch if I really hurried and altered my lunch/work schedule. So I busted my hump to get to the house, change and get on the bike in near record time. Results for today's workout:

  • Awesome weather conditions, bright and sunny, temperature in the upper 60's with only a slight breeze.
  • Total time on bike - 45:28.
  • Total miles ridden - 8.9
  • Blood sugar reading before the ride - 221 and after the ride - 105!!
I'm not going to lie, I rode hard today for this being only my fifth bike workout. There's something about riding in daylight that makes it easier to ride harder. I only looked at my iPhone once to see my time and how much more I needed to do to get to 45 minutes. Had I known I was just .1 away from nine miles, I would have peddled for another 10-15 seconds. All in all, I'm glad I set PR's today for time and distance and I'm also glad that I was able to fit it in during the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment