Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Week in Review (Good news, Bad news)

In my last post I mentioned how Larry Bird paid me a visit at the end of my run last Tuesday evening with a Blood Sugar reading of 33. Random thought, I actually met him one time when the Boston Celtics were using UNCG as a training facility before the start of an NBA season back in the mid-1990's, and he was doing some advising for them before he got fully involved with the Indiana Pacers organization. Needless to say, he was much cooler to meet in person as opposed to meeting his rather famous jersey number at the end of a short workout!!

Results of workouts now coming mid-week:

Wednesday 7-6: Rode for 10.1 miles in a very relaxed 51:48.

Thursday 7-7: Rode for 6.25 miles in 34:34 then ran 2.2 miles in 20:56

Friday 7-8: Rest (Friday Night Lights 2nd to last show and all!!)

Saturday 7-9: Ran 4.0 miles in 45:00 at 6:00 AM!! Then played soccer, lacrosse and wiffle ball with Kendra, Ryan and Dylan for one hour over at the WRAL soccer center.

Sunday 7-10: Played 2 hours of full court basketball at WFPC.

Monday 7-11: Rest (much needed after being forced to take three weeks off from basketball)

Tuesday 7-12: 3.15 mile run in 29:20.

So the good news in all of this is I've now run four times in the last eight days. The really good news is that my left knee has felt great and I'm not experiencing any pain whatsoever. All of the biking I've done since April 3rd has strengthened my knee back to normal functionality, which is sort of a miracle in my eyes.

The bad news in all of this is that I'm indeed RUNNING more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You see back on Thursday, July 7th, Goose apparently got my prior knee pain transferred to his chain because something is seriously wrong when I stop peddling, and just attempt to coast. I'm not the type of guy who's mechanically inclined to fix anything when things go wrong. Some guys grow up fixing things that break, I grew up playing sports and occasionally reading a book or two!!!

So I've contacted Sears, where I purchased him a few months ago, and I'm now being told I need to call a 1-800 number to determine what I need to do next based on my warranty. I'm ever hopeful that what is probably a quick fix is covered and that I can get back to riding again shortly, because up until this point, it's been a blast.

Working out alone on a bike is so much cooler than running alone because you can take short breaks here and there if need be, but you can still really punish yourself on hills which can be exhilarating.

So my mid-week to mid-week totals are 16.25 miles of riding, 9.35 miles of running, 2 hours of hoops and one hour of soccer, lax and wiffle ball with the family which isn't all that bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment