Thursday, July 28, 2011

Week In Review 7-21-11 Through 7-27-11

Well over the course of the last seven calendar days I only took one day off from doing anything athletic wise, and that was this past Monday as I was in nearly complete body shutdown. More on that in a bit. I was able to get in four runs, one day of Wiffle Ball (don't look at me like that!!), and one evening of a half court basketball tournament.

The runs will be documented below, but I wanted to specifically get into the wiffle ball and the basketball activities which took place over the weekend. As I mentioned in a previous post, this wiffle ball tournament that I participated in started off on Saturday morning and finished up early in the afternoon. Now normally, this would be a good thing in North Carolina in July as it doesn't usually get hot until the mid to late afternoon portion of the day. But being as this was the fourth of five consecutive days with the mercury climbing above the 100 degree barrier, there would have been no real good time to start anything outside as it never cools down when it gets that hot and again more specifically, humid. The good news is that we all survived the heat and humidity. Our team actually made it out of pool play for the first time in three years but the best news of all is that
$1,500 will be donated to the Preston Robert Tisch Brain Tumor Center at Duke. And at the end of the day, raising money for a great cause is what its all about. For those of you interested in what it is that we did on Saturday, I encourage you to visit the site angelsamongus.org

Now the basketball event was held the next night at Wake Forest Presbyterian Church as a sort of recruiting tool/alumni game for guys who have fallen out of favor by playing basketball on Sunday night's with us for whatever reason. All I can say is thank the good Lord upstairs that these two events were scheduled on different days on the same weekend, unlike last year!! It was all I could do to play half court basketball for two hours with as much pain as I was in after pitching four complete games of wiffle ball the day before. My left leg, and specifically my left butt check, hurt sooooooo much from pitching that it was indescribable!! My right arm also felt like jello after throwing a wiffle ball as hard as you can for literally like 150 pitches!! Not only did I feel horrible, but our gym at the church had blown its AC unit on Thursday thus leaving it feeling only slightly cooler inside than the real feel temperature outside!! Someway, somehow, 22 guys out of the anticipated 24 that we "recruited" showed up and had a good time reminiscing about our very own "Glory Days". Since we were short two guys, two of the teams had only three players and they had to pick different players from whomever was sitting out when it was their turn to play. I had the good fortune of being chosen to play on one of the teams that was in the finals, and we ended up winning the championship. Now and also like to brag and say that I had a LOT to do with the final game, but that would not be very Christian of me!! This team just happened to have the best player of all 22 guys in the gym, an 18 year old with unlimited range on his jump shot and tremendous driving ability, and we let him (read: forced him because we were all exhausted) score 5 of the 7 points needed to win the game!! All in all, we got some great positive feedback from the night and we'll look to do more of this as some of the guys seemed to like the half court environment.

Now, what did all of this mean as far as my Blood Sugar readings were concerned. Amazingly enough, I ran slightly high on Saturday playing wiffle ball despite loosing a lot of water weight. Sunday evening was a train wreck though. I had an unbelievable low of 32 five minutes before we were to start playing!! Way to stay on top of things when you're helping co-organize an event!! Needless to say, I got through everything thanks to the juice I had on hand but it's always a difficult proposition when you take your eyes of Type 1 Diabetes for even a little while.

Results of my exercise:

  • 7-21-11: 3.30 Miles in 30:09
  • 7-22-11: 3.26 Miles in 31:15
  • 7-23-11: Wiffle Ball
  • 7-24-11: Basketball Tournament
  • 7-25-11: Rest (very much needed!!)
  • 7-26-11: 3.45 Miles in 31:01
  • 7-27-11: 3.56 Miles in 33:15
Results for the running week: 13.57 Miles in 2+ hours.

I'm back on the bike riding road again tonight with my first trip out on Goose II, can't wait!!





No comments:

Post a Comment