Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Week in Review 5-23-11 through 5-29-11 and May Totals

Well the beginning of this last full week of May got off to a less than stellar start with an epic fail on my part. After riding for seven straight days and playing basketball this past Sunday night for two hours, my body gave out on Monday after work and I was left with a low blood sugar after dinner that was not correctable in time to ride.

Then there was the issue with the police situation in our neighborhood on Wednesday night. I'm still not sure why they were swarming, and I use that term literally, around our neighborhood. But they were actively pursuing either someone or a group of individuals because there were more than 10 vehicles of both the city of Raleigh and State Police traveling at high rates of speeds on our rather pedestrian streets. Needless to say, I got a little spooked not only dodging these guys but calling Kendra to let her know what was going on and having her tell me there's an officer sitting in front of our house. By the time I got back to the house he was gone and probably continuing to look for the bad guys. But by then I was done, both mentally and physically, having done only half of my intended route for the evening. The moral of the story is I may never know what was going on that evening, but my internal radar has been elevated for future incidents as we move into the fun summer months as far as mischief and crime go.

One other thing that interrupts workouts, especially bike workouts, is family travel. We left for both Hickory and Charlotte on Thursday and got back into Raleigh on Saturday. The good news is that I was able to get in a workout Thursday morning before work and Saturday afternoon after we got back in town earlier than anticipated. So I only missed Friday down in Charlotte which was not so bad.

Results for the week and the month of May totals:

  • Tuesday 5-24-11 - 10.60 miles in 47:48
  • Wednesday 5-25-11 - 5 miles in 25:00
  • Thursday 5-26-11 - 10.08 miles in 47:00
  • Saturday 5-28-11 - 11.15 miles in 56:00
  • Sunday 5-29-11 - 10.03 miles in 71:00 (Bike ride with Ryan before he left for a week of camp)
So totals for an abbreviated week of riding were 46.86 miles in slightly more than 4 hours. Also, there was no basketball this week due to the Memorial Day holiday. So all in all, not bad considering I only got out five times and one of those was cut in half.

Now the impressive totals, at least for me, for the month of May were 225.34 miles!!

I increased my mileage from April (170) to May (225.34) be more than 55 miles!!

If I don't see results tomorrow with a much improved A1C at my quarterly Endo appointment over at Duke, I'm going to be pissed!! Honestly though, I'm fairly confident that my number will have dropped to a more comfortable level based on the numbers I've been seeing on my meter for the past two months since I've started riding. I only wished I'd gotten a bike sooner!!

The month of June, and continued persistence on the bike, starts tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment