Thursday, June 16, 2011

Choices

10:07 AM and 10:15 AM.

Note the time of both of those above.

The first is the most recent time I checked my blood sugar, a nice 51 mg/dl. The second is the time I started writing this not so coherent post about choices.

While my blood sugar slowly rises to a normal range, the latest of many choices in my morning due to Type I Diabetes, I chose the thrill of a Kit-Kat extra crispy wafer as the raising of my blood sugar of choice as opposed to something quicker like juice, mainly because I don't have any juice with me right now and the thought of drinking a soda out of the vending machine nearly made me puke.

With that being said, I've got to make better choices about what it is that I reach for when I go low. For many years I've always reached for candy, and more specifically milk chocolate, when trying to treat a low. But I know the consequences of that milk chocolaty goodness on the other side leaves me reaching for the syringe and Novolog to correct the ensuing high that will surely follow.

Apple juice, in small amounts, is always the best answer for me when trying to treat a low.

Again, the best answer is apple juice. So why is it so difficult to always have a small bottle laying around the house, office or gym? I mean seriously, I'm 44 years old, I actually have a college degree, a wife, two kids, a cat and a job. But asking me whether or not I have an apple juice with me IF things were to spiral downward in a hurry and I turn into Raymond Babbit in "Rain Man".

"Yeah, I'm an excellent (driver) Diabetic" "10 minutes to (Wapner) recovery".

Anyway, slowly but surely, I need to make certain I'm making better choices with how I treat my low Blood Sugar readings.

No comments:

Post a Comment